Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rad-ish? YES! Tasty? Kinda...




Today I perused the local farmer's market (they accept food stamps!) and picked up a bundle of radishes. I've always been fond of the crisp, scarlet vegetables with their uncompromising flavor, but had only experienced them in salads. I looked up "radish recipes" online and quickly decided on the simple-sounding "baked radishes". And though it was indeed simple, the recipe required a little more than simply sticking the radishes in a pan and putting them in the oven, as I had assumed. 

First, you must steam the vegetables. Hhhm, steam vegetables... Does this involve an iron? How about taking the radishes into the shower with me and turning on the hot water? Apparently not. After remembering that my friend Simone had once used a perforated hat-thing to steam brussels sprouts, I googled "how to steam vegetables". (Please stop snickering.) Turns out that it's eeeaasy. Next, comes the glaze, which just consists of heating up some honey and a dash of cinnamon. Well, actually the recipe called for butter in the glaze, but we were out. I contemplated adding some olive oil, but was interrupted by a vision of Liz, in the kitchen, slowly shaking her head at me. I left the olive oil out. Whether it would've ruined the glaze, I'll never now. Unless someone tells me. 

When the radishes are done steaming, they go in a small baking pan where you seductively drizzle glaze on them. How you drizzle the glaze is your own choice, but I can't imagine any other way to drizzle. (I just realized that usually, glazes are brushed on. Oh well.) Anyway, the radishes bake for about thirty minutes, or until tender. 

The first bite: Not bad! The combination of sweet and, well, radish, was pretty good. AND THEN... things got crazy and I decided to add cottage cheese. 
Rad. 

No comments: